Tremblay, c.r., CM, O.Q., Ad.E.
Education and Bar Admission
- Advanced Degree in Public Law, Ottawa University, 1969
- Called to the Quebec Bar, 1968
- Economic Studies Certificate Degree, Ottawa University, 1967
- Law Degree (LL.L.), Ottawa University, 1967
- Baccalauréat ès arts (B.A.), Université Laval, 1964
Areas of Practice
- General Civil Law, Commercial and Corporate Litigation
- Administrative and Public Law Litigation
- Class Actions
- Professional Liability
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Disciplinary Law
With degrees in Civil Law and Public Law from Ottawa University, Gérald R. Tremblay has acquired more than 54 years of experience, first as a law clerk to a Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, then as Counsel for the Prosecution at the federal Department of Justice, before joining the private practice of two leading national firms, in addition to his involvement with professional and community organizations.
Mr. Tremblay is sought after as both a legal advisor and a litigator. In fact, he was listed among the best litigators on Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers. A recent edition of the Best Lawyers in Canada directory mentions him as a leader in the fields of administrative and public law; class action litigation; commercial law and corporate law litigation; directors and officers’ liability; securities litigation; and law of defamation and media law.
Throughout his career, Mr. Tremblay has published and spoken on a wide range of topics, including contempt of court, class actions, shareholders’ disputes, solicitors’ liability, the courts and the media.
Mr. Tremblay is highly involved in the legal and judiciary spheres. A federal delegate to the Uniform Law Conference of Canada for many years, he has also taken on the roles of "Administration of Civil Justice" committee president at the Bar of Montréal and president of the Québec Bar’s Liaison Committee with the Québec Court of Appeal; president of the sub-committee on conflicts of interest at the Québec Bar; president of the Québec Bar’s Code of Ethics Reform Committee; and representative of the Québec Bar on the National Committee of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada regarding Canadian lawyers’ Ethics Model Code.
He was President of the Québec Bar in 2008-2009 and president of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada in 2012-2013.
Mr. Tremblay is also involved in his community. He has been a Board of Directors member and president of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind – Québec Division, president of the Comité permanent de lutte à la toxicomanie, and a member of the Fondation Jean Duceppe Board of Directors.
- Québec Bar’s Advocatus Emeritus
- Officer of the Ordre national du Québec (2005)
- Member of the Order of Canada (2003)
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (1988)
- Queen’s Counsel (1987)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: recognized as a leader in various areas of litigation – public law; commercial and corporate law; directors and officers’ liability; arbitration (2022)
- "Lawyer of the Year" Defamation and Media Law in Montréal, Best Lawyers in Canada (2021, 2019, 2017)
- "Lawyer of the Year" in "Defamation and Media Law" in the Montréal region, Best Lawyers magazine (2017)
- "Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year" in Montréal, Best Lawyers in Canada magazine (2011)
- American Lawyers Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, from Lexpert: listed as a leading lawyer in the areas of class actions, commercial corporate litigation, securities litigation; directors and officers’ liability (2005-2006)
- Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada: listed as a leading lawyer in the areas of class actions, corporate commercial litigation, securities litigation as well as directors and officers’ liability (2005)
- PLC Which Lawyer: profiled in the area of dispute resolution (2005)
- Listed among the "Top 100 Canada US Litigators" by the Financial Post (2005)
Professional and Community Involvement
- Vice-President and President of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada
- Member of the International Association of Lawyers
- President of the International Association of Lawyers’ "Future of the Lawyer" Commission
- President of the Québec Bar (2008-2009)
- Federal delegate to the Uniform Law Conference of Canada
- President of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind – (CNIB) – Québec Division
- Founding member of the Advisory Committee of the Canada Institute at the Woodrow Wilson Center (Washington D.C.)
- First president of the Comité permanent de lutte à la toxicomanie (government of Québec) that was founded following the Comité Bertrand report, of which he was also a member
- President of the Québec Bar’s "Administration of Civil Justice" committee
- President of the Québec Bar’s Liaison Committee with the Québec Court of Appeal
- President of the sub-committee on conflicts of interest at the Québec Bar
- President of the Québec Bar’s Code of Ethics Reform Committee
- Representative of the Québec Bar on the National Committee of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada on conflicts of interest